Compliance Committee Notes (March 22, 2009, Alexandria VA, ECOS Spring Meeting)
Catherine McCabe spoke with ECOS members on OECA Priorities. Topics included:
- 2010 OECA budget proposal
- Priority setting: will be based on national pattern of significant violations, risk significance, and whether a situation is appropriate for federal action. Some of the likely areas to be included are: air toxics, SSO/CSO, CAFOs, and RCRA financial assurance
- Enforcement in times of constrained budgets
State Review Framework: four "national issue papers" were proposed. These are to be on the subject of four common issues of concern identified in Round 1 of the SRF.
- Working with the regulated community who cannot pay fines
- ICIS-NPDES Program Management Information Rule
Following these discussions, ECOS members considered and passed two resolutions:
1) Concerning Environmental Enforcement Training for State and Local Environmental Regulators
2) Element 13 of the State Review Framework
Another resolution was delayed for consideration to the Water Committee Meeting.